Sunday, November 27, 2011

TOOLS: New vs. used

As the owner of a growing carpentry company it seems like I am continually buying tools. Nearly every project provides the opportunity to add to my tool collection. Well, for the most part that suits me just fine since one of my favorite past-times is buying new tools.

However, new tools aren't always in the budget so over the past few years I have purchased several used items with good results. Of course, I would like to always buy new but when I can't, I have found that research and patience pays off.

My most recent used tool purchase (cordless framing nailer) was only about 1 year old and I was able to pick it up for about half the cost of new. I had been checking them out online, watching prices, etc for a couple months before I came across the one I bought.

I have a few key criteria when looking at pre-owned tools.

The first, as expected, would be price. I don't usually even give a used tool a second look if the price tag is more than half the cost of new.

The second criteria I look at is condition. Regardless of price, if a tool seems to be on its last legs, I don't think it's going to be a good buy. I also insist on being able to test the tool before I buy. At the very least I want to make sure it works and get a feel for the condition. I think you can feel the condition of a tool better than you can see it. Anybody can clean something up and make it look nice but, until you 'test drive' it you don't really know what your dealing with.

Next, I like to consider who owned/used the tool before and how they took care of it. There is no exact formula for this, whether it be a professional contractor or a weekend warrior, you never can predict how a tool was cared for, so I try to ask questions to get a feel for what kind of life the tool might have had.

One last requirement which, for me, is maybe the most important.  I would never buy a used tool 'sight unseen'.  I think you would be asking for trouble to buy a used tool online without being able to see it, feel it, and test it before making a purchase.  If a used tool can meet these requirements; price, condition & test drive, care, and an 'in person' purchase, then I usually feel comfortable about my purchase.

All in all, I think buying used tools can sometimes be the best way to go when you're on a budget like most of us are these days. However, you do kind of miss out on the rush of taking it home from the store and tearing into the box when you get home.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to the workshop.
Thanks for reading.
Rex

No comments:

Post a Comment