Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Difficult Decisions

Well, seems like I have quite a bit on my mind for this post but I'm not even really sure where to begin.
I guess I'll start by saying that I have recently (this week) made a big change in the path I am taking my carpentry business. For the past 5-1/2 years I have been doing work as an independent installation contractor, installing displays in retail. We did work for a wide variety of clients who I will leave nameless. Basically we would get contracted by 3 entities; retailers, brands, and fixture manufacturers. For the first three years I did this work it was relatively steady and profitable but for the last couple years the volume of work just hasn't been there. I think most if not all of this change is due to the economy. As 'third-party' installers our role in the retail world is one of the first things to go. I believe that many companies, in an effort to save money, choose to do the work themselves. Or, find some other, more affordable option(s).
As another twist, I became a husband in April of 2010 and a father this past May. Having a family has dramatically changed how I view a job with unpredictable hours, random travel, and an unstable income.
In 2009 when things really began to take a turn for the worst, I started my own business, 'Carpentry Plus'. In the beginning it was pretty slow, but I guess that's to be expected. However, since those first few months, work has steadily been increasing to the point where I have chosen to apply myself 100% to providing quality carpentry services throughout central Indiana.
It hasn't been an easy decision, as this is something I have thought long and hard about for several months now. As my business has been growing, it has been nice to have a safety net to fall back on, to fill in my down times. At this point though, there has been a shift in the balance of where my work is coming from. My business has nearly grown to the point where it is now providing me with full time work and an adequate income for my family.
Of course, there is much more that went into my decision making process but ultimately, the dramatic shift in the balance of the source of income has put me where I am today.
This has been a difficult decision for me to make as I have thought long and hard on it for months now. But, in the end, it was a no-brainer. I believe that by giving my business everything I have, it will continue to grow and be profitable.
Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment