Saturday, October 22, 2011

Custom Built-In

This week I've been working on a large custom built-in unit. The term 'Built-In' doesn't really do it justice. More like a built-in bookcase/entertainment center/fireplace mantle/storage unit. This thing is a beast, 8'tall x 9' wide.
If you read my last post you'll know that building something this large poses a few challenges for me. I've had to do a little re-arranging in the shop to make space for it but I'm managing.
I felt it made the most sense to take some careful measurements and build this unit in my shop(where all my tools are) as opposed to loading up my entire shop in the cargo trailer and building it on site. That being said, it was rather nerve racking transporting it all to the location. So, while I still think it made better sense to build it in the shop, the issue of transporting will play a larger role in my decision making process in the future. Everything made it safely to it's final location so, it all worked out in the end.
The built-in is made up of 6 modular units; a base(platform), 2 large base cabinets, 2 bookcases and a mantle piece that spans between the two bookcases. Each component was built to custom specs determined by the height and length of the wall and the sizes of the existing TV and electric fireplace. But the real customization came at the installation. There are only so many details that can be pre-determined, some things need to be accounted for on-site. Aside from accommodating some of the miscellaneous details, I also had to relocate the clients 60" flat screen. 1". It's kind of crazy but it had to be done. So, with the TV relocated and the fireplace set into place it was time to
move forward securing the cabinets. Once all the cabinets were set, it was time to install the shelves in the bookcases, install the base moulding and then, the crown moulding. And that was pretty much it. Final paint touch up was to be done by the homeowner. So, with that I packed up my tools, cleaned up,  took some photos and called it done.

Notable features include:
Doors for storage cabinet
Adjustable shelving
Crown moulding
Black Granite tile Hearth
Customized to fit TV & fireplace

No comments:

Post a Comment