Sunday, September 25, 2011

Long Hours

Lately we've been working long hours on our latest renovation. It's not a big project but, due to delays with the homeowners getting the keys and having another project we need to get to, we're putting in the overtime.

So far, we've demo'd the wall separating the kitchen and dining room, tore up ALL of the flooring on the main level, installed cement backer board, 200 sq. ft. of tile and about 450 sq. ft. of 12mm Brazilian engineered wood laminate flooring. At this point, we're about 90% complete and it feels good knowing that this project is nearing an end. Good news is, the homeowners have additional projects to tackle down the road and I've got a good feeling that I'll be getting a call back.

As for the long hours, like anything, there's pros and cons that go along with it. It seems to me that there is an increase in the daily productivity. Obviously, if your working longer you'll get more done but I think it's more than that. I feel like I get into a groove or a zone and if I stay 'in it' and keep working rather than stopping to pickup tools just to drag them back out the next day. So basically, I guess the longer hours give you more productivity and less set-up and breakdown each day.
Another positive to the longer hours is it kinda makes me feel good. At the end of the day, I feel good knowing that my clients are getting their money's worth. There's something therapeutic about a good, long, hard days work.
For me, the biggest down side to the long hours is my time away from my family. I would really like to spend more time at home but I know that I'm earning a living for my family, and that feels good. I just wish there was a way to 'bank' the home/family time from the slower times, but that's life I guess.
And then there is the obvious fatigue that comes with a longer work day. I love what I do, I like working with my hands, being creative, solving problems etc. But, sometimes I feel like I'm wearing myself out.
All in all, I would rather work long hours than not have any work at all, and to me the pros far out-weigh the cons.
So...I'll be back at it tomorrow.

Thanks for reading.
Rex

No comments:

Post a Comment